Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quotes that Epitomize the Character

  • “I have never seen or heard of such a fish. But I must kill him. I am glad we do not have to try to kill the stars.”
This quote shows how the old man reflects on the universe, nature, and his role in it. He views the marlin as a worthy opponent because he said the marlin "'took the bait like a male and he pulls like a male'". He also views the marlin as a brother and loved and respected him.But even though he admires the marlin, he is stilled determined to kill it.

  • “I wish I had the boy.”
The quote shows how the old man is reflecting on his old age and wishes he could be young again. This can also be seen when his hand cramps and he says his hand betrayed him. During the few times he said he wished he had the boy, he is mocking his old age and how even his own body is starting to betray him.

No comments:

Post a Comment